Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Ever!

So ... I am almost a third of the way done with my first draft of Ever! And wow. Let me just say, it's been awesome spending some time in his head. His point of view and voice are so different from Wren's! Seeing things through his eyes has added another layer to the story of For Ever that I'm really enjoying.

Now, I'm going to let you guys in on a piece the latest chapter I've been working on. Remember, this is a very rough draft, and the book as a whole is a companion to For Ever. If you haven't read the first book, it's not going to make a lot of sense -- or it may spoil things!

As for Sever, my editor promises that it will be a top priority. If he slacks off, I told him I would post his e-mail address. ;-)

And now ... a little taste of the world through Ever's eyes. Enjoy! (By the way, the Tarabocchia boy is Josh!)




One of the many human pastimes that has mystified me during my time watching human evolution is that of the cinema. Groups of humans sitting in a large, dark room laughing, crying, or screaming in terror. In their quest for connection, modern humans’ inclination to sit for hours of their brief lives—unspeaking, unable to see anything but images upon a screen—appeared illogical, silly even.
Now I understand.
Sitting at the back of a crowded theatre, I listen with growing agitation to the internal ramblings of the Tarabocchia boy, who has been biding his time, waiting for some form of unspoken encouragement from Wren, who is seated uncomfortably between him and Taylor Nguyen.
Across the theatre from their group, I see Jeffrey Summers and his coterie. Even if I were incapable of hearing his every thought, he and his friends would be difficult to miss, being the brashest and most disruptive group occupying the darkened space. Currently, the miscreant’s hand is slithering up his erstwhile girlfriend’s thigh. When she yawns and crosses her legs, he takes out his phone and begins texting a friend sitting two seats over. In the back of his mind, he is planning to find Wren after the film.
Fresh meat, he thinks salaciously.
My fingers curl around the metal bars that affix the armrests to my seat. I twist the material like putty, imagining how I could snap his neck in an instant. Not a soul in this theatre would notice until the lights went up. Again, the temptation makes my muscles twitch with anticipation.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! C.J....this is so different. I don't know. I think I'm used to being in Wren's head all the time for the story, but now I can see what you meant about Ever being a lot different. And it's so hard to believe how dark his mind is. I've always known it could be there, but now that I read it myself, well it's proof. At least the violence in his head started from jealousy ;D And good idea with telling your editor that you would put his email on display for all of us. I personally have lots to say about when Sever's coming out :D Thanks for sharing this tid-bit! Loved it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete