Friday, October 5, 2012

Why I love fiction

Is the end in sight?
I think part of the reason why I love fiction, particularly of the paranormal variety, is that the characters -- who they are, what they're fighting against, what they're trying to hide (or hide from) -- are operating outside of everyday life. Their problems feel grander -- and somehow less stressful -- than what we deal with in day-to-day lives. Everyday problems fall away as they worry about monsters, secret identities, secret powers, sacrificing themselves for the greater good, and maybe even the end of the world.

The journeys fictional characters take are epic, their romances are breathtaking, their tragedies are immense. And I love that stories can transport me anywhere. I definitely go through periods when I absolutely crave escape -- to another time, another place, another life. Don't get me wrong. I love my life, and I wouldn't swap it for a fictional character's (maybe there are a couple of exceptions!), but it's exciting, sometimes addicting, to slip into someone else's world for a few hours at a time.

I'm a little more than fifty pages into the third book in The Ever Series, and I can't wait to see where it will take me. My husband asked me the other day if I would be done after this book, and to be honest, after I wrote For Ever, I had moments when I thought it would be better to walk away from the entire thing, or maybe take it in-house and just write it for myself.

Now that I've started the third, I really feel like I've only scratched the surface of Wren and Ever's journey, but we'll see, because another great thing I've discovered is that the story goes where it wants.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post! I can definitely say that I feel the exact same way. I love fiction as well and I don't think I can ever let it go. It's the greatest escape in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hillary! I knew there had to be *somebody* out there who felt the same way. Totally random, but do you ever have that feeling where you don't even see the words on the page -- because you're "seeing" the story in your head? For me, that is the best. Reading is like magic. ;-)

      Delete
    2. You're welcome :] Of course I do. Actually I think that happens each time. And sometimes instead of seeing the character I feel like I'm the character, if that makes sense. Reading is magic n_n

      Delete